Wednesday, May 23, 2012

i found the key to the garden!

Longwood Gardens is one of my favorite day trips outside the city.  It's stunningly beautiful, and I love the history associated with it.  Plus... it lends itself to some really nice daydreams along the lines of, "If we were independently wealthy..."  Le sigh.

The other week, while Brian's mom and her neighbor Betty Marie were visiting, we decided to treat them to a day in the gardens for Mothers' Day.



Brian with his mom Mary Ann


I only really remember to take photos for the first hour, so I tried to get pictures of everyone right away.




I really love all the different types of gardens -- this is the Wisteria Walk.




View from the Canopy Cathedral Treehouse.  Wouldn't you love to have this as your backyard?

 


Italian Water Gardens.  Possibly my favorite part of Longwood.  Unfortunately, this is as close as you can get to them.  =(




The first room of the greenhouse, which is so big that we literally got lost in it.  Gorgeous.




Bird of Paradise.  I love weird plants.


 I went a little crazy over the Bonsai exhibit.  I think this was justified.  Those things are over a hundred years old.




Betty Marie in the Waterfall Room.



Brian has strange ideas about what makes good picture framing...


 

But he's very entertaining in the Topiary Garden, so I think I'll keep him around.



Sometimes it's just really nice to get out of the city for a day, even if it it cloudy and drizzly the whole time.  And see how nice it is here?  You should come visit.  Yes, you.


1 comment:

  1. I think you mean me. I want to come!
    Also, love the title :).

    ReplyDelete